Friday, February 6, 2009

#3-Of Mice and Men

Of Mice and Men. This title confused me at first look, and I thought that the book sounded dumb. I know not to judge a book by the cover, though, so I gave the book a chance. As I began reading, I came to realize partial meaning of the title. John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men captivated me with the wonderful story told throughout the book.

The story is written in a very serious manner mixed with some comical relief here and there. Most of the seriousness comes from George, one of the main characters, while the comical relief comes mostly from Lennie, the other main character and George's companion.

The two main characters are total opposites of each other. George is small and cunning, while Lennie is huge and slow-minded. Although the two are total opposites, they share a bond that is almost brotherly because George is always trying to keep Lennie safe and out of trouble. Despite George's constant effort to keep Lennie out of trouble, Lennie manages to get himself into a terrible mess. How does George get him out this time?

The theme I understood from this story is life is better helping others. George could have left Lennie and lived his life on his own, but he chose to give up the life he wanted in order to help Lennie live his life the right way. I also learned dying happy is the best way to go. I will let those of you who have not read the book see where I got this theme from.

I recommend people read the novel because the story told is very interesting and meaningful. The ending is very surprising too!

No comments: