Thursday, February 5, 2009

#1-Antigone

Many people take stands for what they believe in everyday. Many women should respect their rights. Many people let excessive pride ruin their lives. All of these themes can be seen in Antigone by Sophocles. Sophocles' Antigone taught me many lessons through the many themes expressed throughout the tragedy.


  • Taking A Stand. Taking a stand is the biggest theme represented in Antigone. Antigone, one of the main characters, takes a stand for her rights. She is a very persistent person, and she will not give up until she got her way. Being persistent is very important in taking a stand. Antigone shows a very good example of the right way to take a stand for what you believe in. Haemon, Creon's son, also takes a stand for Antigone, his wife. I will let those of you who have not read the play see how the stands they take turn out.

  • Women's Rights. Antigone took a stand for her rights as a woman in a world dominated my men. She is a very strong woman. She shows this by taking a stand for her rights against a man! A woman has to be very courageous in order to do that. Because she stood up for what she believed in against a man who tried to downgrade her, I respect her.

  • Excessive Pride. Creon, the man Antigone was taking a stand against for her rights, was overcome by excessive pride. Creon was who I considered the tragic hero of the play. He let his trait of excessive pride eventually lead to his downfall. I am not going to tell you what his downfall is because the tragedy would be ruined for those of you who have not read Antigone.

Would I recommend Antigone for others to read? Even though I am not a big fan of plays written way back when, mostly because of the writing style, I would recommend people read this because of the many lessons that can be learned from the themes. Plus, Antigone is a very quick read, and I know that is a positive in many people's minds.



No comments: